Safe at Home Program Manager
Rebuilding Together Peninsula (RTP) is a safe and healthy housing organization that believes community starts at home. We provide critical repairs, accessibility modifications and energy efficient upgrades at no cost to service recipients. Our impact extends beyond the individuals served to revitalize and stabilize vulnerable neighborhoods and communities across San Mateo County and the northern Santa Clara County communities of Palo Alto, Los Altos, Mountain View, & Sunnyvale. We are part of a national network of over 150 affiliates across the country.
Our efforts are strengthened by partnerships and collaborations with government agencies, private businesses, skilled craftspeople, civic organizations, churches and community volunteers. Every year, RTP bring thousands of volunteers and corporate sponsors together to preserve affordable housing and rebuild communities. RTP facilitates neighbors helping neighbors, enhancing dignity and pride for all who participate.
The Ideal Candidate
We are seeking an enthusiastic and experienced Program Manager who is passionate about our mission to bring volunteers and communities together to improve the homes and lives of low-income homeowners. The Program Manager should be comfortable working with 10 other staff members and 3 AmeriCorps members in a team-driven environment. It is critical that the Program Manager lead by example, be detail-oriented and an effective problem-solver, while maintaining flexibility and a positive attitude to keep volunteers, vendors, and staff engaged in keeping projects on track. The Program Manager should be a mature, self-aware, high-energy, and entrepreneurial leader with the ability to learn and make decisions quickly, and to anticipate and perform next steps effectively.
Specifically, the Program Manager will be responsible for all overall planning, management and coordination of our Safe at Home (SAH) program. This includes coordinating support for roughly 130 repairs for low-income homeowners each year. The Program Manager will be required to conduct home assessments, manage volunteers and vendors involved in completing projects, manage the scope of work development and completion of renovation projects, ensure data collection and proper reporting, assist with community outreach, and create and maintain relationships with numerous government entities in support of renovation projects (ie coordination with Public Works, Planning, Building, Code Enforcement, and other departments as needed). The Program Manager will consult with the Construction Program Director (CPD) on all skilled repairs requiring permits or coordination with subcontractors, as the CPD is responsible for coordinating those activities. In the long-term, the Program Manager works with the Associate Director on program development.
This person will work with a variety of populations including seniors, individuals with disabilities, multi-generational families, volunteers, subcontractors, vendors, sponsors, and donors. This is a full-time, exempt position based in Redwood City and reports to the Associate Director.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Understanding and commitment to RTP mission and values.
- Exceptional project management and organizational skills including interpersonal communication, systems management and project organization, scheduling and task management, cost control and budget management, risk management, as well as staff and volunteer management and coaching.
- Ability to effectively represent Rebuilding Together Peninsula and its programs and clients among diverse stakeholders in the community.
- Basic understanding of construction process and terminology, and willingness to learn.
- Impeccable organizational and project management skills, with the ability to see and convey big picture with significant attention to detail and follow-through, ability to work on multiple tasks in a growing and changing environment
- Comfort working on project sites to support clients, volunteers and vendors.
- Ability to quickly and positively establish rapport, build relationships, and gain confidence and credibility with a diverse range of individuals from various ethnic, socio-economic, and living environment
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable, and maintain professional decorum under stress (with humor)
- Strong customer service mindset with effective and diplomatic, yet supportive communication style
- Ability to excel in a fast-paced, team-oriented environment and desire to work with volunteers who provide and need varying levels of support
- Excellent problem solver with attention to developing and improving paper, online, and other systems to support RTP programs.
- Three years of project and/or volunteer management as an individual or within a larger organization
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience required
- Effectively utilize information technology, social media, and basic office software including Google Apps and MS Office. Familiarity with Salesforce databases a plus.
- Work occasional nights and weekends throughout the year to keep projects and reporting tasks on schedule. We offer flexibility to accommodate these obligations.
- Pass a background check and fingerprinting.
- Valid CA driver’s license and reliable vehicle with proof of insurance
Though not required, the following are helpful skills and experience for the position:
- Prior volunteer, staff, and program management experience
- RRP or OSHA training
- Bilingual in English & Spanish, other languages a plus
- Knowledge of our service area, specifically from Sunnyvale to Daly City and along the San Mateo County coast.
How To Apply
Deadline for applications: Accepted until a qualified candidate is hired. Initial phone interviews will begin on or around May 30.
Estimated Start date: On or around June 15, 2017
Compensation: Anticipated starting salary is $50,000-$55,000. RTP is prepared to offer a competitive compensation package that includes health, dental and vision insurance to all regular full-time employees. Dependent coverage may be elected at the employee’s own expense. RTP offers retirement plan benefits to eligible employees. In addition to standard sick leave and vacation accrual, RTP recognizes 13 paid holidays as well as an office shutdown for all business days between Christmas & New Year’s Day.
Confidential Application Process: Email your cover letter (Word or PDF document) summarizing your interest, fit with qualifications, compensation requirements and experience along with a current resume to: Mr. David Cattivera, Executive Director of Rebuilding Together Peninsula at Jobs@RTPeninsula.org. Please note “Program Manager Application” in the subject field. Resumes must have a cover letter in order to be considered.
For information about the organization, visit www.RTPeninsula.org.
Safe at Home Program Manager - Job Responsibilities
Program Management (25%)
- Lead by example
- Responsible for the overall coordination and success of all Safe at Home projects
- Manage appropriate site selection based on detailed site review, qualifications, mission, volunteer capacity and financial resources
- Consult with Construction Program Director on all skilled projects requiring permits or subcontractor involvement
- Consult with Associate Director as needed regarding volunteer engagement
- Ensure completion of all Safe at Home projects; coordinate and assist with wrap-up of unfinished renovation projects
- Oversee and ensure complete documentation and tracking in files, database and online systems.
- Work with Development staff to prepare information for grant requests and grant reports, specifically government CDBG requests, including scopes of work, completed work, homeowner profiles and final budgets
- Work with Associate Director, Executive Director, and bookkeeper to manage budgets and reporting requirements to Board and funders
Project Management (50%)
- Plan and develop an appropriate scope of work for each site, consulting with Construction Program Director (CPD)
- Coordinate with repair technician(s), AmeriCorps, vendors and other staff to ensure: (1) projects are on track; (2) they have the necessary information, materials, supplies, and labor to complete projects; and (3) the necessary documentation is completed
- Complete and submit required pre-project reports for publicly funded projects in a timely manner
- Establish expectations and encourage on-site and warehouse safety for volunteers, staff, and clients, including proper training, tools, and other resources
- Coordinate with the CPD all building, encroachment, and other permit processes needed to complete repairs, including obtaining fee waivers
- Nurture relationships with vendors for donations, discounts, and purchase of materials and labor to complete renovation projects
- Manage in-kind donor information on projects; work with development staff to oversee in-kind donation tracking and acknowledgements
- Coordinate post-project follow-up with homeowners – obtaining client surveys, testimonials, “after” photos and referrals for future clients
Volunteer/Sponsor/Client Management (10%)
- Facilitate open communication between volunteers, clients, vendors and sponsors (if appropriate)
- Serve as a resource to troubleshoot and aid volunteers that are assisting with projects, ensuring their work is meaningful, hands-on, simple and efficient
- Assist with corresponding to and acknowledging volunteers, donors and sponsors
- Work in collaboration with and support other program staff
- Support outreach and recruitment of potential applicants
- Lead homeowner orientations and relationship building; help manage client expectations
- Celebrate the work of volunteers and sponsors
- Encourage on-site and warehouse safety for volunteers, staff, and clients, including proper training, tools, and other resources
Strategy/Planning (5% of job responsibilities)
- Work with AD to establish, implement and monitor annual Program goals
- Assist in planning and attend annual program planning retreat.
- Provide AD with regular updates of program activities
- Help evaluate program impact and effectiveness
- Collaborate and share ideas with other Rebuilding Together affiliates, service providers, etc.
Public Relations, Outreach and Development (5%)
- Support the organization and increase community awareness of RTP through presentations and meetings with current and potential referral organizations, suppliers, skilled labor, sponsors, donors, community organizations, city departments and City Councils
- Help foster support from city staff and Council members in all cities in our geographic territory
- Assist in development of stories for public relations avenues
- Write periodic articles for newsletter and annual report
- Support the development of social media content
- Participate in Dreams Happen (biennial children's playhouse auction) and any other special volunteer and donor events
Other projects as assigned (5%)