Rebuilding Together Peninsula (RTP) is a safe and healthy housing organization that believes community starts at home. We provide critical repairs, accessibility modifications and energy efficient upgrades at no cost to service recipients. Our impact extends beyond the individuals served to revitalize and stabilize vulnerable neighborhoods and communities across San Mateo County and the northern Santa Clara County communities of Palo Alto, Los Altos, Mountain View, & Sunnyvale. We are part of a national network of over 150 affiliates across the country.
Our efforts are strengthened by partnerships and collaborations with government agencies, private businesses, skilled craftspeople, civic organizations, churches and community volunteers. Every year, RTP bring thousands of volunteers and corporate sponsors together to preserve affordable housing and rebuild communities. RTP facilitates neighbors helping neighbors, enhancing dignity and pride for all who participate.
The Repair Technician is responsible for meeting the goals of Rebuilding Together Peninsula's repair programs, which provide free repairs for low-income homeowners and community facilities serving low-income populations.
The Repair Technician is the lead person responsible for completion of repairs for our repair programs. Responsibilities include making home assessments, doing repairs, working with volunteers to do repairs, recruiting and managing vendors to complete repairs, building relationships within the skilled/construction community to recruit both volunteer and paid skilled labor, overseeing the selection and completion of renovation projects, and supporting data collection and reporting This person will work with a variety of populations including seniors, individuals with disabilities, multi-generational families, volunteers, vendors, sponsors, and donors. The Repair Technician reports directly to the SAH Program Manager but collaborates cross-functionally with a staff of eleven full-time nonprofit professionals and three AmeriCorps members.
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and experience:
- Understanding and commitment to RTP mission and values
- Contractor's License (strong preference)
- Commitment to serve low-income homeowners and communities
- Impeccable organizational and project management skills, significant attention to detail and follow-through, ability to work on multiple tasks in a growing and changing environment
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable, and maintain professional decorum under stress (with humor)
- At least 5 years verifiable construction or handyman experience and familiarity with construction industry
- 3 years of project management as an individual or within a larger organization
- Demonstrable construction experience, including basic carpentry, plumbing, electrical, and finish work
- The ability to effectively represent RTP and its programs and clients among diverse stakeholders in the community
- Ability to work a flexible schedule, including weekends, an occasional Sunday and attendance at some organizational events in the evening
- Ability to work independently and take initiative, including taking on a leadership role
- A reliable vehicle, valid California drivers license and proof of insurance
- Valid California drivers license, comfortable operating a truck with a lift gate, forklift and pallet jack
- Must be able to deal with physically demanding responsibilities, including lifting up to 70 pounds without assistance
- Strong customer service mindset with an effective and diplomatic, yet supportive communication style and the ability to enter client homes and businesses with respect
- Excellent problem solver who knows when to ask for help
- Ability to excel in a team oriented environment
- Ability to build effective relationships with people of diverse backgrounds
- Pass a background check and fingerprinting
- Fluent in English (read, write, and speak)
Though not required, the following are helpful skills and experience for the position:
- Conversational Spanish ability a plus
- RRP or OSHA training a plus
- Knowledge of Peninsula communities a plus
- Computer literacy with Apple OS and web-based services: Filemaker Pro, Excel, Word, Power Point, Google Apps, and Salesforce
How To Apply
Deadline for applications: Accepted until a qualified candidate is hired.
Estimated start date: As soon as position can be filled.
Compensation: Anticipated starting salary is $60,000 for non-licensed yet qualified candidate or $65,000 for a licensed contractor. RTP offers a competitive compensation package that includes health, dental and vision insurance at no cost to all regular full-time employees. Dependent coverage may be elected at the employee's own expense. RTP offers retirement plan benefits to eligible employees. In addition to standard sick leave and vacation accrual, RTP recognizes 13 paid holidays as well as an office shutdown for all business days between Christmas & New Year's Day. This temporary position will work a 40 hour workweek for a fixed term to be determined during the interview process. Some flexibility regarding hours may be negotiated, as long as they are consistent and allow for repairs to occur reasonably within city-restricted construction hours of 8am-5pm. The Repair Technician works under RTP's general contractor's license (CSLB #986653) and worker's compensation insurance.
Confidential Application Process: Email your cover letter (Word of PDF document) summarizing your interest, fit with qualifications, compensation requirements and experience along with a current resume to the Craigslist relay email listed in this posting. Please note "Repair Technician" in the subject field. Applications must have a cover letter in order to be considered.
RTP will provide equal opportunity employment without regard to race, color, gender, age, disability, religion, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation, ancestry, political belief or activity or status as a veteran.